|Summary||A regular person who believes in truth and justice.|
|Goal||Lynch every criminal and evildoer|
|Has Night Ability?||Yes (depending on host settings)|
|Abilities||Citizens have no special traits by default, but many hosts allow them to begin the game with one Bulletproof Vest.|
The Citizen is the rank-and-file Town role a traditional Mafia setup. In these types of games, Citizens tend to make up the majority of the Town. A Citizen's only ability is "the power of the vote" -- the ability to contribute to discussions during the day and vote the player that he or she believes is scum.
In the current Starcraft 2 meta, many hosts choose to run setups which exclude Citizens altogether and many players are unhappy to receive the role of Citizen given its lack of night abilities.
That said, a Citizen has two power features: one is an optional bulletproof vest (depending on host options) to protect them from all nighttime attacks for a single night. The other is the ability to win the game for the Town against the Mafia or Triad in the event of a 1:1 tie. Please note that this tiebreak ability does NOT apply to situations where a Citizen is left with a Neutral Evil role such as Serial Killer, Cultist, Witch, Auditor, or Judge.
- As the Citizen has no night ability other than potential bulletproof vest mentioned above, he may not be able to do much by himself, but can be very strong when he working with other Town roles.
- Many skilled players believe that a Citizen's most important function is to draw the Mafia's attention and night attack. This will preserve the life of the other Town players who have night abilities. Also, if the Citizen is able to use his bulletproof vest at night, he may be able to continue this disruption even longer, stay alive, and waste one of the Mafia's nights.
- Because the Citizen does not have a night ability, some players argue that he has the least to lose out of all of the Town roles. Therefore, the Citizen is free to play a game without the stress of staying alive. They can fully utilize Private Messages (PMs) to multiple players to try and catch people in a lie.
- However, a Citizen must be careful not to draw enough attention to get lynched, especially since the Citizen has no real means of proving their role. Also, given hosts tend not to include many set role Citizens in their setups, other players may be very skeptical of a Citizen claim.
- The Citizen may act like a Survivor to help prevent them self from being lynched by the Town or killed by the Mafia. If the game comes down to a one Neutral versus one Mafia situation (or similar), the Citizen can help the Mafia lynch the Neutral, this creates a Mafia-Citizen tie situation. If the Citizen's "win ties over Mafia" option is on, the Citizen will win the game. It is a good idea not to use your vest until it's just you and the Mafia, that way you can deflect an attack during the last night.
- Even if a setup does not include Citizens, they may nevertheless appear in the game through the actions of Auditors. An Auditor is capable of converting a Town role to a Citizen. In this case, the Citizen will receive his bulletproof vest (if provided for in the setup).
- One-time use bulletproof vest - (Default: On)
- In the current meta, virtually all hosts enable this option in order to increase a Citizen's survivability.
- Win tie-game situations against Mafia - (Default: On)
- In the current meta, virtually all hosts enable this option in order to reward a Citizen for surviving until the end of the game. With this option enabled, a Citizen would win the 1:1 tiebreaker over a member of the Mafia or Triad.
- Ordinarily, the Town loses any 1:1 tiebreaker so this can be a very strong incentive for a Citizen to survive until the end of the game -- a surprise way to turn what would have been a Mafia victory into a Town victory.
- If the Win tie-game situations against Mafia option is enabled for Citizen, a Citizen will win 1v1 ties-breakers against Mafia or Triad. Therefore, the Mafia and Triad should be very careful to kill a Citizen who has survived late into the game, at the risk of losing the tiebreaker.
- If a bulletproof is activated and the Citizen is not attacked at night the vest will still be used up. Therefore, it may be prudent to save your bulletproof vest for later in the game when it is more statistically likely that you will be targeted.
- A bulletproof vest will block multiple kills (except if Arsonist's ability to pierce night immunity is on).
- Given the difficulty of the role, the Citizen receives extra points at the end of the game.
|Town||Bodyguard • Bus Driver • Coroner • Crier • Detective • Doctor • Escort • Investigator • Jailor • Lookout • Marshall • Mason • Mason Leader • Mayor • Sheriff • Spy • Stump • Veteran • Vigilante|
|Town Investigative • Town Protective • Town Government • Town Killing • Town Power|
|Mafia||Agent • Beguiler • Blackmailer • Consigliere • Consort • Disguiser • Framer • Godfather • Janitor • Kidnapper • Mafioso|
|Mafia Deception • Mafia Killing • Mafia Support|
|Triad||Administrator • Deceiver • Dragon Head • Enforcer • Forger • Incense Master • Informant • Interrogator • Liaison • Silencer • Vanguard|
|Mafia Deception • Mafia Killing • Mafia Support|
|Neutral||Amnesiac • Arsonist • Auditor • Cultist • Executioner • Jester • Judge • Mass Murderer • Scumbag • Serial Killer • Survivor • Witch • Witch Doctor|
|Neutral Benign • Neutral Evil • Neutral Killing|